When it comes to home maintenance, you must pay attention to your gutters abutting the roof and ensure that you clean them regularly. If you allow your gutters to clog with leaves, dust and grime, it is going to back up, anytime there’s a downpour. And with a spill off, you would have to deal with roof damage as well as damage to any flowerbeds, adjoining your home. And if those are not enough reasons, the spill off could also damage the exterior of your home, create ungainly stains on the side of the same and even damage the foundations of your home as well. Here’s what you need to do when it comes to cleaning gutters,
- Tools: The first thing that you need to do is to make sure that you have the requisite tools for gutter cleaning. You need to have thick rubber gloves, along with a ladder, dust mask, safety goggles as well as thick plastic tarp or garbage bag for removing the trash from your gutter. You also need a metal scoop so that you can scoop out the debris from your gutter. You can also use a small garden trowel as that should work just fine. Or you can always get it handled professionally, just search online for upvc cleaning.
- Remove the debris: You need to set your ladder and ensure that it provides you with access to your gutter. You then need to use the scoop and remove all the trash that may have accumulated over time. Once you have removed all the debris from your gutters, you can wash the same to ensure that all grime and dirt are removed. You must clean your gutters at least once a month, to avoid any damage to the rest of your home.
- Check for leaks: Gutter cleanup must always be followed with a close appraisal of your roof and your gutters. You need to closely check the roof for signs of damage or leaks and the same applies to your gutter as well. Just check and mark the locations where there is some structural damage as well as leaks. You can use a china marker to mark the spot on the gutter and then call in some professionals to fix the leak right away.
- Use water hose: You can also use a high-pressure hose to wash down your gutter once a week. This should prevent any large buildup of leaves and other debris as well. Moreover, by regularly cleaning your gutters with your water hose, you would not have to use the ladder or the scoop, to clean out your gutters. So basically, it would be in your interest to wash down your gutters at least once a week.
- Get it checked by professionals: You need to get your roof and your gutter checked by professionals at least once in 6 months. Gutter build-up can happen for a variety of reasons and at times, the runoff can damage the fascia running along the gutter. Or it can even cause the wood to rot, which in turn is bound to lead to structural damage. All of this amounts to massive repair bills which is why it makes more sense to take some preventive measures such as getting your roof and your gutters checked periodically.
- Gutter caps: You can also get some gutter caps installed, on your gutters. The basic function of these caps is to prevent any leaves and other debris from clogging up your gutters. It should also be pointed out that gutter caps may not be able to keep out all the debris but they should be able to reduce the same effectively.
These are some of the essential gutter cleaning tips that you would want to review. You must clean out your gutter regularly. A clean gutter can help prevent roof damage, ungainly stains from developing on the exterior of your home, and much more.